If you love salsa and Italian food then this salsa recipe is for you! Bell peppers, or sometimes called sweet peppers, are just so heavenly amazing when roasted! The flavor of basil is a fresh tasting fun alternative to cilantro. I always have a ton of basil every spring and summer so I’m always looking for ways to use it up.
For this recipe you need roasted bell peppers. Red roasted bell peppers are sold in jars at the grocery store and can be used in a bind, but I strongly recommend you roast your own peppers for incredible flavor. If you aren’t sure how to do this read up on How to Roast Bell Peppers, it’s pretty simple.
I used 2 red and 2 yellow peppers. Orange peppers are also a good option, I don’t recommend green bell peppers for this recipe, as they aren’t as sweet.
This recipe makes a little over 2 cups of salsa which is the perfect amount to serve over grilled meat or a serving of chips and salsa for a few people. If you’re wanting chips and salsa for a crowd you better double the recipe. Sometimes we use leftover salsa to make omelets or serve it over chicken or fish. It taste amazing! Below I have it served over baked tilapia but it also tastes great over my Grilled Rosemary Balsamic Chicken.
Roasted Bell Pepper Salsa with Basil
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted and diced
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 20 basil leaves, rolled and sliced or chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- In a medium size bowl, combine peppers, onion, and chopped basil. In a small size bowl combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and fresh ground pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour olive oil mixture into medium sized bowl and gently stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to allow flavors to blend. Salsa is at its best when eaten within 24 hours.
I love how colorful this salsa is, it’s like a party in a bowl, happy eats! You can shop some of my favorite kitchen items below.
One thought on “ROASTED BELL PEPPER SALSA WITH BASIL”
This looks delicious! Totally need to try it some time