It’s a week until Christmas and I hope it’s not just me freaking out! Just when I think I have everything covered all these last minute to do things pop up, and one of those things, it always seems, involves baking. I enjoy spending time in the kitchen and baking holiday treats. I try to eat healthy all year long but this time of year I’m known to definitely let the diet slide, and for good reason. I have so many favorite baked treats but one of ours is these Double Chocolate Candy Cane Brownies. I know peppermint can be an acquired taste, but we happen to love it, especially Haley. There’s just something about mixing rich chocolate with peppermint that is so satisfying this time of year.
I’m actually not surprised Haley loves and craves these peppermint brownies so much, I ate tons of peppermint patties while I was pregnant wth her. It was literally the only thing that calmed my stomach, so naturally she craves peppermint and chocolate but has no idea why. Really, these brownies have such a dense fudge like texture with a double dose of chocolate and crushed up peppermint it’s better than any peppermint patty I’ve had!
I’ve made these with every kind of peppermint candy you can imagine, my favorite is to use mini candy canes, especially Brach’s. I find mini candy canes are much easier to crush up, but you can absolutely use full size ones too.
To crush up the candy canes I place them in a ziplock bag, then with a coffee mug I smash the bag. I try not to have really large chunks but I do like to have a little variety in texture, it’s up to you. Once baked, cooled, and cut I love to sift a bit of powdered sugar over the brownies. This makes them look so pretty, like a true christmas wonderland treat!
Double Chocolate Candy Cane Brownies
- 1 cup butter
- 4 1 oz unsweetened chocolate squares
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed & chopped candy canes
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Melt butter and chocolate in a sauce pan over medium to low heat, stir until smooth, then let cool.
- Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes, gradually add the 2 cups sugar and mix well.
- Add melted chocolate, flour, salt, vanilla, and peppermint extract, and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured metal 9x13 pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, and then cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and garnish with extra crushed candy canes if desired.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s such a win for those who crave peppermint and chocolate. It’s a great Christmas recipe, but also great for after the holidays. I mean what else are you doing to do with all those leftover candy canes?
Shop some of my favorite kitchen items below!