I’ll be honest I’ve never been much of a fan when it comes to cooked carrots. I always found the texture too mushy and the flavor lacking. Then one day I learned you could roast them and my world changed. This roasted carrots with parsley and thyme recipe is delicious and a total game changer when it comes to cooking carrots!
One of the things I love most about carrots is we always seem to have them in the refrigerator. Go look in your refrigerator… you probably have a bag you forgot about. Oh, carrots, I love you… you’re cheap and last forever in the refrigerator!
You’ll want to start with 2 pounds of carrots. I weigh mine after they are peeled and chopped. Kitchen scales are so useful but if you don’t have one, you can weigh your carrots in the grocery store, just buy a little over 2 pounds to account for peeling and chopping the ends off.
After peeling I slice my carrots in half or sometimes thirds and depending on size I slice in halves or quarters. Now for the best part, the olive oil and herbs. Fresh thyme is what really makes this recipe sing! Thyme is probably one of my most favorite all time herbs, and it’s so easy to grow.
I place some olive oil, dried oregano (you can use fresh if you have it), and chopped up fresh thyme, along with a generous dose of freshly ground salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and I mix together with my hands. Then I spread them onto my favorite large baking sheet, it’s about 13 x 18. You’ll want to use a large baking sheet and place the carrots in a single layer. Then I cover with foil and bake until soft.
Once the carrots are soft I crank up the broiler on high… I really get excited about this part, it’s my favorite. I broil about 10 minutes until the carrots start to wrinkle and get slightly brown. Sometimes I go up to 15 minutes. I never really know, my carrots are slightly different sizes every time and it does vary. You really need to keep an eye on them, nobody likes burnt carrots.
Once out of the oven I top them with freshly chopped Italian flat leaf parsley, don’t skip this part! Fresh herbs make food come to life! Add any additional salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Roasted Carrots with Parsley and Thyme
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs flat leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper.
- In a large size bowl add carrots, olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano and mix well.
- Spread carrots in an even layer onto the prepared pan. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until carrots feel tender.
- Remove the foil and broil on high for 10 minutes up to 15 if needed. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Add extra salt and pepper to taste.
These are so delicious, I hope you see carrots in a whole new way now!