Happy September friends! On my last blog post I shared with you how every August I just can’t deal with cooking. Call it end of the hot summer season burn out… I don’t know but like clockwork every August it happens! The best strategy I’ve learned it to have a pile of easy no brainer recipes that can carry me through the slump. I recently shared my oh so easy spicy maple salmon recipe and now I’m sharing another oh so easy girl you can do this recipe with my slow cooker beef stroganoff. It has minimal prep work, you basically just throw everything in the slow cooker and then your free! Well, you’re free for about 6-8 hours anyway.
I love the complete easy laziness that slow cooker or crockpot meals have. I’m normally NOT a fan of any slow cooked recipe that calls for additional stove top cooking. When it comes to the slow cooker I want to be the laziest person possible! Having said that this recipe does call for additional stove top cooking. What?? I know, but hear me out, we’re just boiling the noodles, and it’s egg noodles, those babies cook fast! But if noodles aren’t your jam you can skip them altogether and serve with bread.
When I say this recipe is easy I mean it! I start with lean pre-chopped stew meat, a little seasoning, add sliced mushrooms, and a rough chopped onion. That’s it, easy peasy!
8 hours later…..
Now the fun starts, building the sauce! To thicken the sauce a bit I like to ladle out some liquid to a bowl and whisk in some cornstarch until smooth. With the heat still on the slow cooker I stir the cornstarch mixture back in and let the mixture thicken while I start the noodles.
Once the noodles are done right before serving we add sour cream and Dijon mustard to finish the delicious sauce.
Fact: anything with sour cream is incredibly delicious and this sauce certainly doesn’t disappoint. If you’re not a fan of Dijon don’t let that throw you off, it helps to emulsify the sauce and adds just a hint of tang. My kids aren’t mustard fans yet they never notice it. Shh!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow cooker
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 lb whole mushrooms, rinsed and sliced in half (or use pre-sliced)
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- cooked egg noodles, for serving
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place beef, onion, mushrooms, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 6 hours, until meat is tender.
- Ladle 1 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker into a medium size bowl. Add the cornstarch and whisk until smooth. With the heat still on pour the cornstarch mixture back in slow cooker and stir until combined.
- Cook another 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. While the sauce is thickening boil the egg noodles according to the package directions.
- Turn the slow cooker off, or set it to warm and stir in the sour cream and Dijon mustard.
- Serve over egg noodles and top with fresh parsley.
There you have it, a family friendly easy meal that takes very little time and effort. This meal is so hearty and satisfying but what I really like is how it doesn’t scream I’ve been cooked in the slow cooker. Whether you just can’t deal with cooking or your short on time this recipe is perfect!
Fall is coming, who else is bursting with excitement? The blog will be turning full on fall soon! Have a great week my pumpkins!