Happy New Year! I’m so excited to share this farmer’s harvest salad I created with you. Ugh… I’ve been so behind lately! Between moving, the holidays, lots of travel, and then getting sick it seems like I’ve hardly gotten anything done lately. On our plane ride home from Texas I created an enormous to do list and I was so excited to get stuff done… then BAM! I ended up with a massive sinus infection! Moving and traveling are stressful on their own so I was already aware that my immune system might not be in top form. On top of that I also go way way back with massive allergies and sinus infections in Texas, so maybe it was just inevitable!
While coughing and hacking miserably in bed one night I kept craving a salad that I recently ate at a local restaurant. Literally I couldn’t stop thinking about it, my poor sickly body that had overindulged in naughty holiday food was desperate for some nutrients. So I sent my hubs to the store and poof! My own version of a farmer’s harvest salad was born!
There is just something so insanely satisfying by combining roasted butternut squash with fresh greens, tangy onions, creamy goat cheese, and the satisfying crunch of sliced almonds all tossed in a delicious balsamic dressing! It’s no wonder I healed from my sinus infection in record time, this salad is totally a nutrient powerhouse.
This salad makes the perfect side dish to round out a meal, or by simply adding a protein it can easily become a main meal. Can I just say using the word main is so funny now that I live in Maine? You should see me when were driving down Main Street in Maine… obviously I’m easily entertained! Ok… moving on. If you wanted to turn this salad into a Maine dish (sorry I’ll stop now) it would be incredible with grilled chicken, steak, or salmon. Yum!
When it comes to cooking and baking I’m typically a from-scratch kind of gal, but then again I’ve also been sick. So I gave myself a pass this time. I used pre-cut butternut squash cubes from the produce section and also bottled organic balsamic salad dressing. Now I’m wondering if I should give myself a pass more often because it made making this salad a breeze!
While the butternut squash is roasting use this time to gather and prep the rest of your ingredients to make things super easy!
Farmer's Harvest Salad
- 5 oz Package of spinach and arugula mix
- 1/2 Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Butternut squash, chopped
- 1/2 cup Balsamic salad dressing
- 1/3 cup Sliced almonds
- 4 oz Goat cheese, crumbled
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place butternut squash in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and mix together. Place squash on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 400° until tender and lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- In a small pan over medium high heat sautée sliced almonds until toasted, about 3-4 minutes. Be careful that they don't burn!
- In a large bowl add spinach and arugula mix, onion, and salad dressing.
- Top with sliced almonds, roasted butternut squash, and crumbled goat cheese.
If you try this salad let me know what you think! Also if you add any creative additions of your own let me know in the comments below!