Today I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes, my Slow Cooker Turkey Sweet Potato Chili. The great thing about this recipe is there is no precooking! Um….awesome! Those slow cooker recipes where you have to pre-cook the meat are such a downer for me! There is a little work in chopping up the sweet potatoes and onion, but after that it’s all down hill. Not only is this recipe delicious, it’s incredibly healthy and the entire family will love it. I’ll show you below just how easy it is to make.
Throw 2 pounds of lean ground turkey into your slow cooker. I’m using a 6 quart slow cooker from Cuisinart. Now break the meat up into small pieces.
Add a small diced onion, 3 peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, and 3-4 pieces of cut up raw bacon. I cut up the bacon with a pair of kitchen sheers. The bacon gives the chili a nice rich flavor so don’t leave it out. I loooooove bacon!
Add chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and oregano. I love smoked paprika, and it pairs nicely with the sweet potatoes. I always like to pre-mix my seasonings together in a bowl.
Finally, add 2 cups of chicken broth or stock and 1 teaspoon of salt. I used homemade stock and my stock is always left unsalted for cooking purposes. I’m not sure how salty store bought broth is. My suggestion is to be conservative the first time, tasting it at the end and adding a little salt before serving if necessary.
Give everything a good stir to mix it up and set the slow cooker for 4-5 hours on low. Now go off and have some fun while everything cooks. Go be fabulous. Don’t be like me and spend this time doing laundry. That’s not fabulous.
If you’re home and near your slow cooker, after 2-3 hours you can stir and break up the turkey chunks a little more. If not no worries.
Once it’s finished cooking, lift the lid and give the chili a good stir, breaking up any chunks of meat if necessary. Don’t worry if any sweet potatoes get smushed while doing this. It’s all good.
Now grab yourself a bowl and fill up, put a dollop (a big dollop for me) of sour cream on top, and sprinkle with cilantro. Yum!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 4 slices raw bacon
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1 tsp salt - or add to taste
- sourcream for topping
- chopped cilantro for topping
- Place uncooked ground turkey in a 6 quart slow cooker. With a spatula break up the meat into chunks.
- Add sweet potatoes and onion. With a pair of kitchen shears cut bacon into small pieces, add to the slow cooker along with the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and salt. Add the chicken broth and stir.
- Cook 4-5 hours on low. With a spatula break up the turkey chunks into smaller pieces and stir before serving.
- To serve, top with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Not only is this recipe perfect for a cold day it’s incredibly easy, tasty, and paleo friendly too. Enjoy!