Oh how I love spiced nuts this time of year! It took me a little bit to recover from Thanksgiving but I’m back in the spirit of cooking and baking. So I thought I would share my Brown Sugar Cinnamon Spiced Nuts recipe. It’s a great indulgent treat and you can whip up a batch in under 20 minutes! It makes for great party snack food but they taste great on salads too. This is one of those recipes that’s just fun to play around with, and with most of the recipe being made in the microwave it’s pretty much fool proof!
I like to roast my nuts a few minutes in the oven first, it’s not essential you do this, but it really brings out the flavor of the nuts. You can play around with any variety of nuts you like, my favorite is definitely pecans. I’m kinda weird about walnuts, sometimes I love them, and other times I can’t stand how bitter they are.
After roasting the nuts in the oven, the rest of the recipe quickly comes together in the microwave. We like to add a pinch of chipotle pepper for just a hint of spice, you can add a big pinch though if you want! Once the nuts are finished in the microwave I dry them on parchment paper. About 10 minutes later they should be dried, with no sticky residue. I could eat an entire bowl, especially while they’re still warm! Store any leftovers in an airtight container, that is if you have any leftovers!
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Spiced Nuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a pinch of chipotle or cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs water
- 4 cups pecan haves
- parchment paper or wax paper
- Place nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and roast at 350 for 5-7 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, chipotle, salt, and water and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the roasted nuts and stir until the nuts are thoroughly coated. Microwave 4-5 more minutes, STIRRING HALF WAY THROUGH.
- Remove nuts from the microwave and stir for about a minute until all the liquid is gone from the bottom of the bowl.
- Spread the nuts to cool on parchment paper for 10 minutes.
It’s on my list of things to do to add a print function to my recipes, I’ll get to it eventually I promise. I love to play around and experiment a lot with my recipes so if you come up with any interesting flavor combinations let me know. Happy snacking!
Shop some of my favorite kitchen favorites below!