Sheet masks are the ultimate luxury for me. Don’t get me wrong… I love a good old fashioned regular face mask, but sheet masks are hands down my favorite way to pamper my skin. They’re easy to store and travel with and more sanitary than masks in jars.
Currently it’s winter in Colorado, and due to Covid I haven’t had a facial or been to a spa in a year. So yeah, I’ve definitely been on a mission for a while to find the perfect sheet mask. I reviewed 20 different sheet masks that range in price from $3.99-$35. My only criteria was that each mask be sold as a single. Many sheet masks are sold in a multi-pack, but most of us want to try a single first before we commit to an entire expensive box right? No matter how amazing a sheet mask looked, if it wasn’t sold individually I didn’t try it, and then of course I wanted to try a few others but they were out of stock.
I’m 43 with acne prone skin. My skin was oily living in Texas, but since living in Colorado it’s more normal to dry. My main goals in using sheet masks were to hydrate, plump, and brighten my skin.
FYI: These reviews are not sponsored in any way. All sheet masks were purchased with my own money, and these are my honest true opinions.
SHEET MASK TIPS
While you’re pampering your face why not pamper your mind as well? Lie back, turn the lights out, light a candle, and listen to relaxing music. Use this time to clear your mind and pray or meditate to get the most out of your experience.
For the ultimate luxury after applying the mask use a facial roller over the mask. I use my rose quartz roller and it feels amazing! It’s easier to roll your face with a paper sheet mask on rather than a gel. Gel masks tend to roll off with the roller sometimes.
Don’t waste one single drop! I make sure to get every drop out of each package and massage the liquid goodness into my neck, chest, arms, and hands. Once you’re finished with your sheet mask if you still feel a lot of moisture rub it along your body, don’t waste anything!
I know some people will place used sheet masks in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to save for another use. I’m a germaphobe so I don’t do this, plus I make it a point to use all the liquid up so there’s nothing left to save.
Some sheet masks leave a sticky or tacky residue and it’s definitely not desirable. I’ve found that in most cases this went away in around 20-30 minutes once my skin absorbed the product. Some remained sticky afterwards, but once I applied my regular skin care and makeup it felt much better. A few stayed sticky with makeup all day, below you’ll see which ones they are.
1. La Mer Treatment Lotion Hydrating Mask $35 – A single use $35 sheet mask is ridiculous in price, so I was expecting a lot from this mask. I left this mask on for 20 minutes and rolled my face with my quartz roller, It felt heavenly. Afterwards my skin looked bright and hydrated, with a slight tackiness that quickly absorbed. Minutes later I found myself quickly needing a moisturizer. My makeup went on beautifully and my skin felt incredibly smooth the rest of the day. It’s a great mask but I felt for the price it could have done more. I doubt I’ll use these again due to the cost. I also find it ridiculous that the sheet mask is packaged inside a box, it’s a waste of packaging.
2. JLo That Limitless Glow Sheet Mask $18 – This two piece mask had ear loops for the upper and lower mask to attach to. A bonus is you can walk around while wearing it, the ear loops soon started hurting my ears though. About halfway through my ears started hurting so I had to tear the mask to make the ear loops bigger. When I removed the mask my skin felt very hydrated and once the product finished absorbing into my skin any tackiness was gone. Oddly my foundation went on really splotchy, especially around my eyes and nose, so that’s a deal breaker for me. Again not impressed the sheet mask was packaged inside a box, it’s pure waste.
3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrogel Mask $3.99 – This two piece gel mask was slightly awkward to put on and didn’t cover the sides of my face well. It took me a while to figure out which side was the front, but it felt very soothing and hydrating while I was wearing it. Afterwards my skin had a nice peachy glow, but once the leftover serum dried my skin feIt uncomfortably tight. I quickly grabbed a moisturizer. This is a might be a great budget mask to experiment with if you live in warm, humid climates. Living in Colorado I have to pass on this one.
4. Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Facial Barrier Mask $6 – This mask had a very rich almost heavy feeling. It felt wonderful on my skin and after absorbing all the product I felt like I didn’t need a moisturizer. My only regret was using this mask during the day instead of night. My skin looked a bit greasy and I had to blot some moisture off to apply my makeup. This would be an excellent evening mask in the winter so your skin can soak up all the moisturizing goodness overnight. I’ll be buying this mask again when my skin needs a big boost of moisture.
5. Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mask $12 – This sheet mask gets the award for most drippiest, which was ok with me I love saving and using all the liquid goodness. Afterward my skin tone looked dewy and well hydrated. My skin was just slightly tacky after applying makeup, but I was ok with it. I definitely enjoyed this mask and if you do save masks in the refrigerator this is a good one because the extra serum in the package.
6. STARSKIN Red Carpet Ready Hydrating Bio-Cellulose Second Skin Face Mask $11 – I loved this face mask! Afterward my skin looked beautifully hydrated with a great glow. There was no sticky residue and once all the product absorbed I didn’t feel a need for a moisturizer. My makeup went on like a dream, it looked like it had actually been airbrushed. I kept looking at my skin in the mirror off and on all day because it looked that good. I’m a definite fan of this sheet mask after seeing the results.
7. Wishful Thirst Trap – Cocoon Mask $9 – This mask made my face itchy… maybe due to the caffeine? After 20 minutes I gladly ripped it off. I was worried I would have a reaction from the itching but luckily I didn’t. Skin felt hydrated afterwards but the itching makes this mask a no for me.
8. Sephora Collection Spirulina Face Mask $5.50 – This spiraling face mask says it focuses on hydration and anti-pollution. Years ago I had a bad experience with Sephora sheet masks on an overnight flight. It was my first time using a sheet mask and it left me wet, drippy, and very sticky, but I decided to push through and give Sephora masks another try. The package says to leave on for 5 minutes but that’s such a short time so I did 20. Surprisingly I enjoyed this mask, my skin felt hydrated and soft. It did feel a bit tacky after removing but that went away in 15 minutes. I actually preferred the Sephora Lychee mask a little more over this one, but this one is still a great option.
9. TONYMOLY I’m Real Aloe Mask Sheet $3.75 – Immediately the cutesy packaging threw me off but I decided to go ahead and give this sheet mask a fair chance. Instantly we were off to a bad start. The mask didn’t fit well over my eyes and mouth, I had to rip them to get them to fit. Instantly I felt the tiniest bit of irritation but I decided to push through. 10 minutes later I literally ripped it off. My skin was bright red, my eyelids felt extremely itchy and irritated, and my entire face was sticky. I ended up washing my face to get it off. This one was a hard no for me.
10. No7 Restore & Renew Multi Action Serum Boost Sheet Mask $5.99 – My favorite thing about this mask is it has an attached neck mask included. As exciting as that was, I had a hard time keeping the neck mask in place, even while on my back. My skin had an undeniable glow afterwards, felt hydrated, and my makeup applied smoothly. At around $6 this is a fantastic budget mask that gives good results.
11. Lancome Renergie Lift Multi-Action Ultra Double Wrapping Cream Face Mask $15 – This two piece cream based mask was one of the best face fitting masks I wore. It felt wonderful on my skin and afterwards my skin did look hydrated, plump, and firm. When I removed the mask I had a lot of white residue on my face that I was able to massage into my skin, this could possibly be an issue for darker skin tones. I’ll definitely be using this mask again, especially before taking photos.
12. TONYMOLY Intense Care Snail Gold 24K Hydrogel Mask $10 – I was a little nervous using this mask mainly because I had such a bad experience with the TONYMOLY Aloe, but also the word snail was throwing me off a bit. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this mask. Afterwards my skin looked plump and hydrated. I did a quick target run and again I had a skin compliment from a stranger and that’s with half my face covered with a mask. Will order again. At $10 it’s a definite repurchase for me. By the way this is the mask I’m wearing in the above photo.
13. Oh K! Hyaluronic Acid Hydrogel Sheet Mask $6 – This two gel piece mask had a pretty iridescent look. I wasn’t expecting much from this mask. I think it was the cutesy packaging. When I took the mask off my skin looked plump and had a nice glow. An hour later my skin felt very moisturized but also incredibly sticky. Although this mask gave my skin a nice glow it was the stickiest mask by far that I used. An hour later my face was still very sticky after using my skincare and makeup. A hard no for me.
14. Lancome Advanced Genifique Hydrogel Melting Rejuvenating Face Mask $15 – This gel mask felt great on and had a nice pleasant scent. After removing I felt some hydration benefits and my skin had a slight tacky feeling. Nothing really good or bad really stood out about this mask. It was pretty basic, some hydration but without any other benefits. I probably won’t use it again unless it’s on sale.
15. Dr. Jart+ Dermamask Water Jet Vital Hydra Solution $6 – This is a fantastic hydrating mask for the price and definitely my favorite Dr. Jart+ sheet mask. Afterwards my skin felt and looked so nourished and hydrated. It delivered the perfect amount of moisture without being too heavy or sticky. My makeup also went on very nicely after using this mask. Being at such a great price I’ll definitely be repurchasing.
16. Sephora Collection Lychee Face Mask $5.50 – The lychee mask is listed as a moisture and glow mask. So far it’s my favorite Sephora mask and I loved the heavenly scent. I found it very hydrating but in a light feeling way, with no sticky residue. I do think my skin needed a little more moisture because I quickly needed a moisturizer, but at under $6 I still found it enjoyable and beneficial. When I’m looking to restock sheet masks around the $6 mark I’ll gladly pick up another one of these.
17. Dr. Jart+ Dermask Micro Jet Brightening Solution $9 – Not only did my skin feel fantastic after this, I glowed for days! I used this the morning before our Las Vegas trip. With the sun, alcohol, and lack of sleep Vegas isn’t exactly easy on the skin. This little gem saved my skin, I saw the lasting effects well into the week. Great hydrating and brightening mask.
18. Dr. Jart+ Cryo Rubber with Brightening Vitamin C Mask $14 – I thought this mask was such a silly gimmick, but the reality was the mask looked nothing like the cover. First you rub a cream on your face and they you apply a rubbery 2 piece cheap face mask over the top. It slid around and didn’t stay in place, and when I removed the mask I had lot of leftover residue that I eventually dabbed off. Later that day my skin did look good, but I won’t be repurchasing this because of the silly unnecessary amount of waste this product produced. Afterwards you’ll be left with an unnecessary pile of garbage.
19. Farmacy Hydrating Coconut Gel Sheet Mask $6 – I couldn’t get this mask to stay on properly, it kept lifting especially around my eyes and nose. Afterwards my skin felt hydrated and not sticky but I didn’t think this mask was anything special. There are many other sheet masks for around $6 I’d rather use.
20. Charlotte Tilbury Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask $22 – The nice thing about this mask is it’s dry so it’s mess free and reusable up to 3 times. It’s a great option when your skin needs a nice boost before a date night or special occasion. I definitely saw results, my skin looked fresh and plump the rest of the day and my makeup went on smooth like butter. If you do get 3 uses it makes the price a little over $7 per use which is more reasonable.
I loved so many of these sheet masks, and I’ll definitely be repurchasing them, but I decided to pick 5 overall winners.
STARSKIN Red Carpet Ready Hydrating Bio-Cellulose Second Skin Face Mask $11 – My #1 pick, this mask does it all!
Dr. Jart+ Dermamask Water Jet Vital Hydra Solution $6 – Best overall affordable hydrating mask.
Charlotte Tilbury Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask $22 – Best dry mask that’s reusable and delivers results.
Dr. Jart+ Dermask Micro Jet Brightening Solution $9 – Amazing brightening mask, your skin will glow for days.
Lancome Renergie Lift Multi-Action Ultra Double Wrapping Cream Face Mask $15 – Real firming and lifting results.
I used all these sheet masks in a 4 week period, taking notes as I went. After using all of these masks my skin looked insanely good, almost like I had laser treatments done. So yeah, you can definitely say I’m hooked!