Now that Fall is here I find myself thinking about soup a lot. Mmmm…..soup. I love soup anytime of year, but I especially love it in the weather is cool outside. Today I want to share with you my kale sausage & white bean soup. It’s one of my very favorite soup recipes. Not only is is very satisfying and filling, it tastes amazing!
A bowl of good soup soothes my soul and comforts me, it satisfies me, and it makes me happy, sometimes in a way no other food can. This soup is full of vitamins and protein, and if you’re using your own made from scratch chicken stock it’s even more nutritious. It’s also extremely freezer friendly, just thaw and reheat when you need a quick meal!
I always try to find ground Italian pork sausage, if you can’t find this you can use Italian sausage in links, just cut and remove the casings. This recipe can be very easily adjusted to your needs. If you hate carrots leave them out, if you love celery add more! You can leave the beans out and reduce the carrots if you’re eating low carb. If you hate beans you can try adding diced potatoes.
The fennel seed in the sweet Italian sausage really makes this recipe amazing. I’ve also substituted Italian chicken sausage with good results, and I’ve also tried hot Italian sausage, although the sweet is my favorite. I also use my own chicken stock, I never salt my chicken stock so I definitely need to add some salt to this recipe. I didn’t include this in the recipe because the salt varies in store bought broth or stock. So once the soup cools down, just add salt to taste. I ended up using about 5 cups of broth, it’s not a bad idea to have a little extra on hand depending on how soupy you like your soup. Make sure you simmer the vegetables long enough until they’re soft. This recipe falls into the you can’t screw this up category, and aren’t those recipes the best?
This soup is great tasting as is, but I love sprinkling the top with parmesan cheese. It turns into a melted cheese blob….mmm.
Kale Sausage and White Bean Soup
- 2 lbs sweet Italian pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4-5 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bundle of kale, center stem removed and leaves sliced or torn
- shredded parmesan cheese
- French bread for dipping (optional)
- In a large soup pot crumble and cook Italian sausage 5-6 minutes, until done or almost done. Spoon or drain any fat off.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic powder. Cover soup pot with a lid, stirring occasionally until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, beans, parsley, and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes until vegetables are soft and kale has cooked down. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place soup in bowls and top with parmesan cheese and serve with warm French bread.
Shop some of my favorite kitchen items I can’t live without below!