Today I want to share one of our favorite fall breakfasts, my pumpkin spice oatmeal with cranberries and pepitas. Not only is it very easy to make, it’s incredibly satisfying! Oatmeal is always a great breakfast staple and great on a chilly fall or winter day, but this jazzed up fall harvest version will make your heart sing.
Every fall like clock work my 17 year old daughter demands everything be pumpkin flavored. You might say she’s a tad obsessed but who can blame her? This recipe is definitely a winner and has always gotten her seal of approval!
It’s certainly easy enough to make on a weekday morning, but we love to save this recipe for cozy weekend mornings. It’s full of flavor without being overly sweet, the entire family adores it. The oatmeal thickens up nicely on the stove, then to serve you drizzle it with milk and add the toppings and it’s just so good. I like to curl up on the sofa with a blanket and snack on any leftovers when possible!
I usually keep dried cranberries in the pantry for making salads, they also make a perfect addition to this oatmeal. The cranberries get nice and soft and add just a little bit of extra tang and sweetness. We used course brown sugar as well, it gives a fun crunch but any brown sugar will do.
Can we also talk about how much I love pepitas? I snack on them all day, they’re so addicting and super healthy too! If you haven’t tried them you need to! I get them in the bulk foods section at Sprouts, and just like the dried cranberries they make great salad additions too.
So grab that can of pumpkin in the back of your pantry that you forgot about and make this delicious yet simple fall breakfast!
Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal with Cranberries & Pepitas
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups milk, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- large pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds), for garnishing
- Whisk the pumpkin puree, milk, 2 1/2 cups of water, the dried cranberries, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, vanilla, and a pinch of salt together in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then add the oats and reduce the heat to medium-low. Gently simmer, stirring frequently, until the oats are tender and the oatmeal thickens to the consistency you like, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, drizzle individually with milk, then sprinkle with pepitas, a little extra brown sugar, and cranberries.
Enjoy the recipe, and on Friday I’ll be sharing an amazing place we explored while in Paris over the summer. It’s a long overdue blog post!
Shop some of my favorite kitchen favorites below!